keskiviikko 29. toukokuuta 2013

From the 90's kid to a weird adult

Oh, poor me. Some are so lucky.

I was born in February 1989. 7 years after that, in 1996, I started school. I have a picture of that day, a (relatively) tiny human with a big backpack. 

The sweet 1990's. The golden decade of my musical awakening.

Now someone has probably realized why I wasn't as lucky as some people...

* * 

When talking about fashion and music, very few say 90's was their favorite decade. What I remember, the late 90's was a weird mix of autotune, synthesizers, crop tops and freaky haircuts. 

Finnish radio station YleX airs on Friday evenings a two-hour show dedicated to the nineties music. It's one of my favorites - and I'm not the only one who likes it, because the Facebook group has 19 000 other victims of this era. It's all about nostalgia and good memories, and this guilty pleasure of liking music that's supposed to be unbearable.

So, how was the end of 1990's from my point of few? How did it sound and look like? Or even taste like?

*

One of my favorite records back in the day was E-type's Last Man Standing.


I took a walk on the wild side and listened to this album when I went to the grocery store today. Surprisingly enough, I remembered every song on that album. 

E-type is a Swedish band and it released its latest English album in 2007. Last Man Standing was released in 1997 and this super popular record was produced by Max Martin, the same gold finger who has written and co-produced also such hits as Katy Perry's "I Kissed a Girl" and Bon Jovi's "It's My Life".

The theme of this album is some sort of medieval knight gone disco. You can even hear reggae tunes in one or two songs, and the biggest hit, Angels Crying, was made into a country version, too. 

Angels Crying Original


Angels Country


*

Like probably every other young girl in the late 1990's, I was a huge Spice Girls fan. I loved the Spice World movie, had a t-shirt, pens, even an SG diary - but by far one of the most exciting things were the Spice Girls lollipops!


I have no idea how expensive those lollipops were - probably not the cheapest ones. But how happy I became after getting one!! Inside the most delicious lollipop was a ball of bubble gum, and with every candy you got a Spice Girls sticker. I'm pretty sure I still have those stickers somewhere in my parents' place.


I had a VHS of a Spice Girls gig. I used to watch it over and over again, and every time I was so surprised "Why are those men in the audience? This is a band for little girls!". Of course afterwards it became very clear to me that Geri, Emma, Mel C, Mel B and Victoria were very beautiful girls and dressed in tiny dresses and high heels... So yup, Girl Power was also very sexy. But I never thought about that when I was 7, I just wanted to collect all the stickers and sang "stop right now, thank you very much" with very poor English. I was innocent and so was my idea of the Spice Girls.
*

I was very young during the time, so my wardrobe wasn't very high fashion in the nineties. Mostly I wore sweat shirts and sweat pants, clothes that were comfortable when playing with the friends in the woods next to our school.

Although living in the countryside, our school threw a disco party once or twice every six months. I used to love dancing (and I still do). It was like being a part-time grown up, I got home after 9 PM and it was sooooo late!

In the parties I dressed up a bit. My mother or my sister made my hair, and as a Spice Girls fan I used to love ponytails. Normally I wore a top and some wide leg trousers. Sometimes my mom let me to put a little makeup. But what I loved the most was the hair mascara!


This non-permanent hair dye became popular again last fall. It was funny really, how excited some fashion bloggers got about it. For a second I thought about buying one myself, but realized quickly that some things are best left in the past. I can still remember the smell and get very nostalgic about it.

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti